Friday, April 4, 2014

Here We Go!





It is official.  I have done it.  I have finally started a blog.

Let me give you some background.  I love teaching.  I absolutely adore learning new things.  My education career started 14 years ago when I decided to get my Masters in Education.  I taught 4th grade at an inner city school (or as 'inner city' as Des Moines gets).  I left my classroom teaching post to focus on the all-important job of being a mom, which is still a top priority.  However, my babies have grown into school-aged students and there is only so much vacuuming a girl can do.  Therefore, I started volunteering in my children's classroom. I began substitute teaching.  I developed education curriculum for various companies.  I wrote a few 'hot-button' educational pieces for various websites.  Suddenly, it occurred to me that I am fascinated with the current affairs of our public school system.  I must tell the world about it.

So what is this blog about anyway?

As a substitute teacher with lots of flexibility (thank you, dear husband),  I have found that I am at the front line for reporting what is happening in our classrooms.  My placements as a substitute teacher allow me to witness all types of classrooms.  I work for 2 districts (urban and suburban) and I will teach in any grade level and discipline (preschool to high school Geometry...gulp).   I love and thrive off the challenge.  Many times I leave a substitute assignment disheartened and perplexed as to what is going on in a certain building.  Sometimes I leave feeling like I tied too many shoelaces.  I have worried about my safety (yes, in Des Moines, Iowa).  More often than not, I leave completely inspired.  There are so many exciting happenings going on in our schools today.  There are teachers out there that will blow your socks off when you witness their dedication.  Teachers and administrators are doing more than ever to ensure that our students are getting what they need to survive in an ever changing world.

My goal in writing this blog is to inspire, educate, research, debate and ramble about the affairs in education.  My hope is to enlighten and motivate teachers, parents and administrators on the important issues that they are facing (Common Core, overcrowded classrooms, standardized testing).  The purpose of this blog is not to document my job as a substitute teacher (although it would provide some terrific comedic relief) but rather to use it as a means of research for education topics.  In this journey, I hope to stir up some controversy and debate about the effectiveness of our current educational system.

Tell me, what education-related issues keep you awake at night?

No comments:

Post a Comment